New salespeople have it all. I mean, they really do. Many times, I have shouted from the rooftops about how awesome it would be to be a new sales person today. There are so many reasons, it’s hard for me to prioritize them. So, I will just talk about those that are top of mind.
Sales is Now a Recognized Profession
- Colleges now offer courses and majors in sales
- Salespeople are not viewed as pushy used car salesmen, but as professionals
- There are now a variety of sales career paths providing upward mobility for those looking to take on additional responsibilities
Sales Training and Coaching Are Big business
- There are more than 20 global sales training organizations and thousands of smaller ones, all focusing on making it easier for salespeople to sell and for customers to buy
- Coaching now incorporates 30% of a top-performing sales manager’s time – way more than in the past
- Books on sales best practices are all the rage, providing multiple points of view from many a wide range of sales experts
Data is More Accessible
- Data on every aspect of your customers and key stakeholders is readily available, allowing for better preparation to take conversations further, faster
- It’s no longer an arduous process to gain insight into pipeline statistics such as number of days in the pipeline, number of days in each stage, close ratios, territory management analysis, etc.
- The visualization of this data on all types of media, tools and mobile devices − in easy sound bites using dashboards and the like − make salespeople’s jobs so much easier than using spreadsheets to view data
New Salespeople Have No Fear
What still remains true – whether today or in the past – new salespeople typically start their careers right out of college or after their first job. At this time of their lives, they usually don’t have kids or mortgages, so they have the opportunity to show no fear. They can call on a C-level executive, ask the tough questions, and push the limits since they have little to lose at this point.
New Salespeople Can Make the Leap Faster
Furthermore, new salespeople today have the added benefit of having sales recognized as a profession worthy of many who came before them. They get all the benefits of good sales training and coaching. And have so much data at their fingertips to help them prepare for conversations and therefore gain credibility quicker and ask those tough questions. Lucky devils.
Maximize the Benefits
The generation of today’s new salespeople is great for all of us who value being a sales person first and foremost. Take all the great things that are available to you, go out and solve customer priorities, and make lots of money. Many are making more money than lawyers or doctors. Wow – go figure!