Whether this month marked the start of a new fiscal year or the start of the last quarter, the New Year is symbolic of a clean slate for setting goals and remembering success factors. Here are our top ten sales tips for making your selling team more successful.
1. Stop telling people why you think they should buy.
Make sure you have a full understanding of the client’s key priorities, needs and barriers to achieve them; and link your ability to meet them.
2. Prepare your internal resources for role selling.
You’ll likely need different approaches, solutions and messages for each stakeholder, so make sure you and your team are working together to provide these.
3. Validate information with multiple stakeholders—often.
Throughout the sales process, make sure you’re getting it right by asking for frequent feedback on your direction.
4. Analyze your territory early on.
Make sure you’re working the right deals for short-term wins and long-term goals by getting a handle on your universe.
5. Forecast from your client’s point of view—not your own.
Taking an outside-in approach can give you the reality check you need to more accurate sales forecasting.
6. Be aware of the early proposal trap.
Have you learned enough about the client, and engaged them to the point where your proposal will be on-target and worth the effort?
7. Sell results.
Customers don’t buy products/services; they buy what the service or product will do for them.
8. Negotiate based on value, not emotion.
Demonstrate benefits, accomplishments and possibilities—and don’t take push-back personally.
9. Remember that customers want a buying experience rather than a selling event.
Be collaborative and have the client play a role in issue identification and solution creation.
10. Become a go-to resource for your customer.
As a subject matter expert, you can help clients connect new ideas to new wins.